The Survival Swim class at Texas Swim Academy is a unique style of infant swimming lessons set out to provide a more comprehensive and critical set of water skills than a typical baby swim program. Our number one priority is safety and our dedicated and knowledgeable instructors equip every child in this program with the necessary skills and confidence to survive in the water in the event of an accidental plunge.
What Do Parents Need to Know About This Program?
This class is a great class for infants as young as six months old to young children up to 4 years old. Initial Survival Swim lessons are always one-on-one and approximately 15 minutes in length for four days per week for 4-6 weeks, then once a week after skills have developed. Each lesson builds upon previous lessons so there is measurable progress each week. This is not a parent and child swim program. Our goal is to establish a relationship of trust between your child and their instructor. Once this occurs, your child will learn to trust him/herself in the water and gain water independence; that’s when the real progress occurs.
How are the Lessons Conducted?
First, your child’s instructor will gently introduce them to the water. Once your child is comfortable, the instructor will work with him or her to guide them through the lesson process and build a level of trust and comfort. Once this is established, your child will begin to learn how to roll-back-to-float and then eventually start learning how to swim depending on the child’s age.
What Skills Can Their Child Expect to Learn During This Course?
Infants (6-12 months) can learn to:
- Hold their breath in the water
- Roll from a face-down position to face-up back float
- Float, relax, and breathe until rescued by an adult or possibly flip over and swim to the wall
- Perform these skills fully clothed
Children who are walking (1-4 years) can learn to:
- Hold their breath under water
- Swim with their face in the water to the steps or side of the pool
- Roll over onto their back when they need to breathe
- Flip back onto their tummy to continue swimming until reaching their destination, or roll to their back should they need to breathe again
- Perform those skills fully clothed
Again, the time frame to master these skills is typically 20 lessons. As a result of this program, your child will evolve from being completely helpless to being confident and capable of saving his or her own life in weeks, not years.
Take a look at the video below or visit our program page to learn more about the Survival Swim℠ program at Texas Swim Academy.
If you have any questions, please visit our program page, stop by our facility or give us a call!